BMG – which acquired FPT Distribution SA (Fenner Power Transmission) over 20 years ago – celebrates Fenner’s 90th year of business in South Africa this year.
“The BMG team is proud to be the exclusive distributors of highly acclaimed Fenner products, which have been manufactured in South Africa for longer than any other power transmission brand,” says Carlo Beukes, business unit manager, Power Transmission, BMG. “Fenner, which was established in England in 1861, remains the premium brand in power transmission, that generations of professional engineers have depended on and trusted.
“Fenner power transmission products are synonymous with quality and reliability globally and have set the benchmark high for dependable components for high efficiency, low maintenance requirements and extended service life – even in the most arduous operating conditions.
“An important factor for BMG in marketing Fenner products is the ‘Fenner Quality Assurance Initiative’, which is a world wide commitment to quality. Customers have the assurance, wherever they are located, that the quality of Fenner products always meets exacting, agreed and internationally recognised industry standards.
“Because standardisation and spares-holding costs are a high priority for most production operations, Fenner applies a policy of low-frequency product changes throughout its portfolio, with design improvements implemented only where these will offer significant customer benefits.
BMG’s Fenner range – which consists of transmission and drive chains, vee and wedge belts, tyre and grid couplings, timing belts, sprockets and pulleys, and shaft mounted speed reducers – enables BMG to work with all sectors of industry.
The company also services the industrial and mining replacement and re-sale markets and is a supplier to original equipment manufacturers.
A strategic decision was made by BMG earlier this year to expand the portfolio, with the addition of Fenner conveyor belting products. Through a long-term agreement with Fenner Conveyor Belting, BMG is now the exclusive distributor of Fenner conveyor belting products locally and in sub-Saharan Africa.
Fenner conveyor belting products, which include steel cord and solid woven conveyor belting, are manufactured at the Isando plant, according to stringent international quality standards.
BMG – with a technically competent team and a well established network of over 130 branches – is well-positioned to develop sales opportunities and continue to provide support for the entire Fenner portfolio.
Looking back 90 years, from 1928:
- JH Fenner, who was the founding father of power transmission globally, established his company in England in 1861. He was involved in the original flat belt design, to transmit power from what were then steam engines, to machinery.
- The original taper lock bush was perfected by Fenner to the unrivalled four-hole balanced design of today.
- In 1928 the Fenner range was launched in South Africa through Reunert & Lenz, leading engineering suppliers at the time.
- In the early 1960’s Fenner SA Pty Ltd was established in Isando. The company started manufacturing locally, under licence from Fenner UK.
- The company flourished on the back of the local booming mining industry.
- In 1998 Bearing Man acquired FPT Distribution SA (Fenner Power Transmission) to boost Bearing Man’s new power transmission division.
- 2018 marks the 20th anniversary of this successful relationship and is the 90 year milestone of the Fenner brand in Southern Africa.
- BMG has enhanced its Fenner portfolio, with the addition of Fenner conveyor belting products.
- BMG boasts improved manufacturing capabilities and shorter lead times on Fenner accredited products. Capacities of up to 3000 x 15 SPC pulley can be manufactured in about four weeks.
BMG is committed to continue leading the way in a highly competitive industry, by ensuring the local market has access to world-leading products.
The company is uniquely positioned to meet the exact requirements of contractors, designers and end-users, in diverse industries. A team of highly experienced technicians offers a technical advisory and support service and a substantial stockholding ensures quick and efficient delivery throughout the entire Southern African region.FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA