Secunda, Mpumalanga – Today, Sasol in collaboration with the Osizweni Science Centre, its education flagship project, hosted the 24th annual Grade 12 Merit Awards ceremony.
The Sasol Grade 12 Merit Awards acknowledge and celebrate the best performing learners in Govan Mbeki, Lekwa and Dipaleseng municipalities. The awards also recognise the best performing teachers and schools in these areas, particularly those who performed well in Mathematics and Science.
The awards are given out to learners who have obtained three to eight distinctions, overall top achievers from quintile 1 -3 schools (non-fee schools) and quintile 4 schools.
A total of 82 learners received merit award certificates, as well as cash prizes for their outstanding performance.
Awards were handed out in the following categories:
- Top 15 achievers (Level 6 +) in Mathematics and Science from Quintile 1-3 Sasol supported schools (non-fee schools) in Govan Mbeki Municipality (GMM)
- Top 10 achievers (Level 6+) in Mathematics and Science from Quintile 1-3 Sasol supported schools in Lekwa Municipality
- Top 5 achievers (Level 6+) in Mathematics and Science from Quintile 1-3 Sasol supported schools in Dipaleseng Municipality
- Top 5 achievers in Mathematics and Science from Quintile 4 schools
- Overall Best Educator in Mathematics
- Overall Best Educator in Physical Science
- Best Educator in Mathematics from Quintile 1-3 Sasol supported schools
- Best Educator in Physical Science from Quintile 1-3 Sasol supported schools
- Overall Best Educator in Mathematics (for each of the six circuits)
- Overall Best Educator in Physical Science (for each of the six circuits)
- Sasol Secunda Management Excellence awards for:
- 2018 Top 3 most improved schools in Quintile 1-3 supported schools
- Overall Most improved school
- Top Performing school in Mathematics and Science
- Overall Best performer school per municipality
- Top achiever learner from Quintile 1-3 supported schools (All circuits)
- Overall top achiever.
Each top achiever received a sum of R15 000 towards registration at institutions of higher learning. Learners who obtained more than three distinctions received R1 000 for each distinction.
“Sasol views education as an enabler to improving the lives of people in our communities., Through our flagship project with Osizweni Science Centre, we have been providing teacher development and educational support to learners doing science and mathematics with the intention to enable top performance in these subject,” said Simon Baloyi, Acting Senior Vice President: Sasol Secunda Synfuels Operations.